Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (Android version)

edited May 2021 in Help (Android)
How can I use music from Spotify, YouTube Music, Amazon Music, or another streaming service with Music Speed Changer.

The short answer is you can’t. These apps generally provide no means for other apps to consume their audio tracks, and the ones that do have TOS which prohibit altering the sound.

Some of these services may allow downloading of mp3 files for individually purchased tracks (typically through a desktop browser only). These mp3 files could then be transferred to your device for use with Music Speed Changer for Android. Consult the Help files of your service for instructions.

If you're using a laptop or desktop, our Music Speed Changer extension for Chrome and Edge allows you to change the speed and pitch on streaming video and music sites.

The app stops when I'm listening to music in the background.

Most likely there is a battery optimizer that's aggressively killing Music Speed Changer in the background. Often these are from the phone manufacturer and only whitelist pre-installed apps. You will need to find the instructions to prevent the battery optimizer from doing this at dontkillmyapp.com.

Another reason for the app stopping is Google Play Services being updated when the app is running. This is uncommon if automatic updates are turned on in Google Play, and your device is not turned off for long periods of time.

The music sometimes unexpectedly pauses

If the app is on and the music pauses seemingly out of nowhere, it could be caused by other apps interrupting audio. Music Speed Changer has a setting to override these requests. See here how to override the interruptions.

The volume of playback and saved files is low, how can I raise the volume?

The volume can be raised by adjusting the Preamp to 0 db in the Equalizer. The default gain is -3 db because lowering the pitch can very easily cause clipping. See this article for more detailed instructions on controlling the volume with the pre-amp in the equalizer.

How do I save my track with the adjustments I made?

Your changes are saved by selecting export in the main editor menu. For detailed instructions on the steps to save your altered music, see here.

I want to adjust the pitch precisely. Is there a trick to make it easier?

You can turn on plus/minus buttons and snap the pitch slider to the semitones. For detailed instructions on the app's pitch adjustment options and how to change them, see here.

Is there a way to change colors?

Yes! You can turn on dark mode and customize the accent color. For instructions on turning on Music Speed Changer's dark mode, see here.

I have created playlists, and the songs have disappeared from them! (Or other playlist issues)

Playlists which are usable across multiple apps (called ‘Android playlists’ within Music Speed Changer) sometimes have quirks or bugs on some devices which can cause this to happen. If this happens to you, we recommend you use the ‘Internal Playlist’ option when creating a new playlist. For more information on Music Speed Changer's playlists, see here.

Saving a file creates a 192kbps MP3 file, which is too low of quality, how can I increase the quality?

In Settings, you may choose higher bitrate options or save to lossless WAV files instead of MP3.

The playback is not smooth, there is static or glitches in the audio.

Please try unselecting the ‘Low Latency Audio Library’ in Settings >> Advanced.

I want to use an external equalizer or effects app with Music Speed Changer.

Upgrade to the latest version of Music Speed Changer to use use external equalizer and effects apps. Also, you can try turning off the ‘Low Latency library’ option under Advanced Options in Settings. This may or may not work depending on your device. For more info, see this article on using an external equalizer or effects app with Music Speed Changer.

Why is the app rated ‘Teen’?

The app may rarely show ads for products that are inappropriate for younger audiences, such as dating apps or sexual health information.

Is there an iOS version available for iPhone or iPad?

We are working on the iOS app and are looking for future beta testers to help us test the app when it's ready. Sign up here if you want to help test. There is currently no released iOS version available, but you can use our web app on all devices.

Comments