Compressor

When it comes to the Compressor gain, am I supposed to turn the Input Gain all the way up to 24 dB to make the Compressor work harder and sound linear and turn the Output Gain up to 1 dB or more to gain match the Compressor level? Or, am I supposed to turn the Input Gain and Output Gain up together to gain match the Compressor level depending on the Threshold, Ratio, Attack, and Release settings? I'm guessing it's to turn the Input Gain and Output Gain together to gain match the Compressor level. I think it's the right and correct way to do it. I think I'm doing it correctly right at this point from now on.

Comments

• I tried turning up the input gain 1 dB and more as I lower the threshold a couple dB down and more, and it's actually the right, correct, better and proper way to compress in general. Because the maximum input gain is up to 24 dB, it makes the threshold want to be at the same level to -24 dB as well when it comes to changing the Compressor settings to turn up the output gain. Even this is what I did back then since quarantine of Covid-19 Coronavirus pandemic, I turned up the input gain at 24 dB maximum and the threshold at -40 dB, and turned up the output gain to 4 or 5 dB. Back then, I never used the preamp at all. Was 24 dB of the input gain and output gain from the Compressor a good enough number? Or, was it the right, correct, and proper number in general?
  • Is the ceiling the input gain of the Limiter and the Threshold is the output gain of the Limiter? Or, no? Am I off about this?